USB connectivity for your extra optical drive.
After swapping out your optical drive for a sweet dual hard drive setup, don't just stow old Mr. Opty in a drawer — give it a new life with this cable!
There are two ways you can utilize this cable:
- Use it to connect a freshly extracted SATA optical drive to your computer via USB.
- Alternatively, you can use this cable and our dual drive enclosure to use a second 2.5" hard drive via USB. It's not the prettiest solution, but it works in a pinch.
Note: Video DVDs will not play through the built-in DVD Player app in OS X. DVD Player does not recognize external DVD drives. We recommend using another player, such as VLC, to play video DVDs through this cable.
- MacBook Unibody
- MacBook Pro (excluding MacBook Pro Retina)
- Mac mini (A1283)
- Mac mini (A1347 Mid 2010)
- iMac Intel 20" EMC 2266
- iMac Intel 24" EMC 2267
- iMac Intel 21.5" EMC 2308 and 2389
- iMac Intel 27" EMC 2309 and 2374
We offer you the lifetime iFixit warranty on many products. All information on our warranty conditions can be found here.